Itinerary designed for 1 day in Akaroa
If you’re thinking ‘What to do in Akaroa’ and you only have one day, whether you are coming from Christchurch or a cruise ship this article has been designed for you! One of our biggest tips is to book everything in ADVANCE – just so you don’t miss out!
We might be a little bias here, but being on the water is one of the highlights when visiting Akaroa. Check out TripAdvisor, so you don’t just take our word.
Dolphins Watching & Harbour Cruise
- 9.45 am Check-in is at 65 Beach Road. Be ready to board our catamaran at 10.00 am at Akaroa’s main wharf. Relax and enjoy our 2-hour luxury nature cruise, with a 98% chance of spotting the rare Hector’s dolphins! Click here to find out more about what you will see and need to bring.
- 12.15 pm You will arrive back at the wharf ready and pumped for the rest of your day. With the sea breeze & excitement, you will probably be ready for some lunch! We are spoilt for choice with eateries in Akaroa. Whether you like fresh seafood, Thai or a classic kiwi burger we have it all. Click here to see all our restaurants and cafes.
Pohatu Penguins Tour
- 1:30 pm If you love penguins and want to see more of Banks Peninsula’s landscape, book the 1.30 pm Pohatu Penguins Tour. A 2-hour 4WD safari to the spectacular, award-winning Wild Side Conservation area. Where you will visit New Zealand largest White-flippered penguin colony, and you might even get the chance to pat one of their friendly pet sheep. For more information click here.
- 3:30 pm Time to take a break and chill! Something you must learn to do to feel like a real Kiwi! Whether you relax in a cute coffee shop, to experience New Zealand’s coffee revolution or consume a classic creamy Hoky-poky ice cream. Alternatively, you can browse all of Akaroa's fabulous shops for gifts, either for others or yourself.
- 10:00 am As soon as you arrive in Akaroa visit our office to collect a map of the town or wander down to Akaroa’s iSite. At the end of the main Akaroa wharf on cruise ship days purchase a hop-on-hop-off bus pass. Trevor runs this bus and charges $15 a day. A great way to save your energy while taking in some of the sites.
- 10:30 am Here is a link to all our restaurants and cafes https://akaroa.com/eat-and-drink/ Some of our favourite brunch dishes are French Toast, Pancakes, Eggs Benedict, and fresh smoked Salmon Bagels.
The Giant's House
- 11:30 am We HIGHLY RECOMMEND visiting the Giant’s House! A magical sculpture and mosaic garden, that has been awarded 6 Stars in the 2018 Garden of International Significance! Visit Josie’s website to discover more.
Dolphins Watching & Harbour Cruise
- 12.15 pm Check-in is at 65 Beach Road. Be ready to board our catamaran at 12.30 pm at Akaroa’s main wharf. Relax and enjoy our 2-hour luxury nature cruise, with a 98% chance of spotting the rare Hector’s dolphins! Click here to find out more about what you will see and need to bring.
- 2.45 pm If you want to know more about the history of our area, hop back on the bus or walk down to our beautiful museum in the centre of town! Just a gold coin donation to rediscover the past of Banks Peninsula! http://akaroamuseum.org.nz/
HOWEVER… our best piece of advice for you is to STAY for at least a minimum of two nights, and really reap the benefits of our glorious little town, outer bays & landscape. For places to stay click here.
Written by Sophie Wadley
Map designed by Emma Perrin